Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Influenza, Farm, and Drag Queens!

Influenza A. At 30 weeks pregnant. Not fun. Tuesday evening, I started with a headache which eventually led me to not feeling well all over. That night I tossed and turned with hot sweats and cold spells. I'm positive I was running a fever and it was still there in the morning when I woke up. As the day progressed I was noticing I had zero energy. I also had this achey/sore feeling over my whole body along with a terrible headache. Most people probably would chalk that up to my pregnancy finally catching up to me (and for a moment I tried to convince myself that was what was going on) but by the late afternoon the chest pain started. My chest was so unbelievably tight it literally hurt to breathe. The thought of a heart attack crossed my brain (way to freak myself out). It was time to seek advice from Dr. Google and with my initial search of flu symptoms, EVERYTHING that I was experiencing was on the list. I wasn't suffering from all the possible flu signals, but everything I did have was on there.

Now, normally I would let things run their course, but being 30 weeks pregnant gave me concerns. Especially because Dr. Google was also kind enough to provide information about how the side effects of the flu could be quite dangerous to a pregnant woman as well as to call 911 for any chest pains. I skipped the ambulance and it was off to Centra Care. After telling the "real" doctor there of all my symptoms he seemed to be concerned over the chest pains as well. He said he was going to run an EKG (he said he also heard a faint heart murmur) but before doing so he was going to swab my throat to test for strep and swab my nose to test for flu. While I was waiting for the nurse in the procedure room for the EKG the doc came in and said that the flu results were positive and that was indeed the cause of the chest pains. So no EKG for me. Instead, I was sent home with Tamiflu and a Z-Pack. The Z-Pack was precautionary just incase any bacteria were to get in my lungs which could be very dangerous to baby Gummy. I normally wouldn't be so keen on taking a precautionary antibiotic but figured it was the best to do in this circumstance to protect the little babe.

The next couple of days were rough. I was exhausted and achey. I luckily didn't have the runny nose and cough that often accompanies the flu. But the other symptoms were bad in themselves. I spent as much time as possible on the couch/bed resting. The tamiflu made me sick to my stomach and reminded me of my early days of this pregnancy lol. Luckily, I had some Zofran leftover and called to speak with the pharmacist to get the ok to take it with the other medication. That did the trick.

I'm sad to say that being sick caused me to miss Addisyn's very first field trip which was on Friday. Doug was able to take Addi and Alyse instead. They went to Green Meadows Farm and from all their stories and the pictures it sounds like they had a great time. Wish I could have been there though.








By Saturday, I was feeling much better and actually had a bit of my energy back. I was so glad too because we had reservations to go to Hamburger Mary's to celebrate Zoe's birthday. We had this planned for a few weeks and I would have been so bummed to have missed it. It was nice to enjoy a dinner and great show. Always fun to laugh and Hamburger Mary's is so laid back it would be hard not to have a good time there.

Leigh claimed that he was the father ;) lol
I also cancelled by 3D sonogram appointment that I had scheduled for Saturday. I wasn't sure how I'd be feeling so instead of waiting to see, I rescheduled just to be safe. Will be going in two weeks! Tuesday I will be 31 weeks! Thursday, I have my check up at the doctor! It seems like time is just zooming by. In one way I'm so excited to meet baby Gummy and hold her and snuggle her. But in other ways, I know that the sooner she makes her arrival the faster she will grow and not be a teeny baby anymore. Babies are so bittersweet. Regardless, preparations are almost complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment